Bureau of Motor Vehicles


Ohio BMV
Renew your license plates
Next of kin/emergency contact registration

Services provided

  • Vehicle registrations
  • Driver’s License and Identification cards
  • Disabled parking placards
  • Out-of-State Vin inspections
  • Reinstatement fee payment processing
  • 3-Year driving record
  • Salvage inspection receipts
  • Bus inspection receipts
  • CDL test receipts
  • Fax service
  • Copy service
  • Lamination service


Frequently Asked Questions


How soon can I renew my driver’s license?

Class D for drivers over age 21 can be renewed 90 days in advance. Drivers turning 21 can renew 30 days in advance. Commercial driver’s liecenses can be renewed 180 days in advance.

How soon can I renew my vehicle registration?

You can renew up to 90 days before it expires.

What do I need to renew my disability placard?

A prescription from your health care provider containing your name, date, indication a window placard is needed and how long, and signature of the physician or other provider.

How do I change my driver’s license to my married name?

Bring your driver’s license and your original or certified copy of your marriage license or certificate.

I am going to be out of state at the time my driver’s license is due to renew, how do I renew it?

You can request to renew the license before you leave if your are over the age of 21. If you are under 21, call 614-752-7600 and request a packet to renew by mail.

How do I replace my fifteen-year-old’s lost temporary permit?

We will need to see either a primary or secondary document from the list of acceptable documents which can be found on the BMV website. Also a parent will need to co-sign and show an Ohio driver’s license or ID card.

I bought a vehicle through a dealer and my temporary tag expires today, what can I do?

If the title has not been issued, we can issue another 30-day tag if you bring in your security agreement or bill of sale, and your Ohio driver’s license or ID card.

I sold a motorcycle and bought a car, do I get any credit for the motorcycle plate that is still valid?

As long as the motorcycle and car are titled in the same ownership, we will replace and transfer the plates, which gives you credit for the motorcycle plate, but gives you a pair of large plates to put on your car.

I have suspended license. How do I get it reinstated?

Call the BMV at 614-752-7600 or visit BMV website and click the link for online services, then select the option for reinstatement info. If you would like to pay reinstatement fees here, there is a $10 service fee.

I bought a vehicle from an individual and I need a 30-day tag to get it home, what do I need to bring in?

We can accept a notarized title, or security agreement (if it is financed), or a notarized internet bill of sale. You will need to show an Ohio driver’s license or ID card and the vehicle, must be covered by insurance. The cost is $18.50.

Did you Know:

Champaign County Deputy Registrar Agency was given an award for being in the 2015 Top 10 Save Our Sight program in the state of Ohio from July 1, 2014-June 30. 2015.